Topics reported by IELTS candidates. Although topics cannot be predicted for your test, it is possible for questions to be repeated.
- Ordinary people try to copy famous people either reading magazines or watching TV. Why do they do this. Do you think it is a good idea to copy famous people.
- Nowadays people make new friends through social networks and
internet chat groups. Some people think this is good. Others think
that face-to-face interaction is essential. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some parents think it is good to give their children mobile phones, while others disagree. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- Food travels thousands of miles from farm to consumers. Some people believe we should buy food from the local farmer to protect the environment and support local businesses. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
- Some people believe that if people are allowed to work after the age of 60, it would cause problems for younger people. Do you agree or disagree?
- Many people buy new phones or laptops to keep up with the latest technology. Is this a good or bad thing?
- Famous people sometimes give their opinions on public topics. Is this a good thing? Explain to what extent you agree or disagree.
- Nowadays the increasing amount of garbage ( waste) is a real concern. Why is this happening? What can be done to resolve this?
- Many employers are employing people with good social skills as well as good qualifications. Do you agree or disagree that good social skills are as important as good qualifications to succeed in a job?
- Housing is essential for people. Some argue that the government should offer free housing for people who cannot afford it. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Grandparents play a big role in the bringing up their grandchildren.
Do you think is it useful for grandparents to be involved? What is your opinion?
- Some people think that competitive sports should be included as a subject in school, while others believe that it has negative effect on children. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Nowadays, there is a trend that the media focuses on problems and emergencies rather than positive developments. Some people think it is harmful to individuals and to society. To what extent do you agree?
- Some people think parents should attend child care courses to learn how to take care of their children. Do you agree? .
- Due to advances in science, it is now possible for people to live to 100 years old or even longer. While some people think it is a good thing, others do not agree. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
- Some people think that young people should spend their free time with their families instead of enjoying outside entertainment. However, others disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- The internet and television are giving more opportunities for the average person to become famous. Is it a positive or negative development?
- Some people believe that there will be a reduction in air travel in the future. Do you think that this trend is a positive or negative development?
- With the recent developments online, people can leave their views or opinions about certain goods or services they have purchased. Is it a good or a bad thing?
- Some people believe that it is important to give presents to friends and family to show that we care about them. Others think that there are better ways to show that we care. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- These days many of us prefer to throw damaged things away, whereas in the past people used to repair damaged items and keep them for a long time. Explain why you think this change has happened. What are the effects of this change in attitude?
- Shopping has become a favourite past time for many young people. Why is that the case? Should they be encouraged to utilise their free time in a better way?
- Some people think living in a country for a period of time is needed to learn the language and culture. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that technology has made man more social, while others think people have become less social. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Study shows that many criminals have a low level of education. For this reason, some people believe that the best way to reduce crime is to educate people in prison, so that they can get a job when they leave prison. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that to be successful at a sport you need a natural ability and others think that hard work and practice can make you successful. Discuss both views and give your opinion?
- Some people believe that the radio is more enjoyable and practical than TV. Do you agree?
- Some people think that government spending on the restoration of old buildings in cities should be stopped. Instead they should spend the money for housing and road development. To what extent do you agree?
- Some people think that government should spend money on faster public transportation, while others think that there are other more important priorities such as health care and the environment. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- More and more people are buying ready to eat foods instead of cooking themselves. Does this development have more advantages or more disadvantages?
- It is believed that children from countries with a high level of unemployment should be offered only primary education and should not be offered with a secondary education as it is unlikely they will get a job in the future anyway. Do you agree or disagree with the statement?
- More and more people are using a lot of online language translation apps. Are there more advantages or more disadvantages of such services?
- Some people think that people can be encouraged to take up sport through sporting events such as Olympics. However, others think that there are better ways to encourage adults to do exercise. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- In many countries, some students live with their families while studying, but other students prefer to attend universities in other cities. Do the benefits of living away from home outweigh the disadvantages?
- Cultures all around world have become more similar than they used to be. What are reasons for this? Do you think it is a positive or negative?
- Scientists believe that finding other life forms in space by sending messages is a good idea, while others think it can be dangerous. Do you agree?
- The best way to deal with the rising problem of traffic and transportation is to encouraging people to live in cities rather than in suburbs or in the countryside. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- In the past, museums stored information about culture and history. However, nowadays this information can be found through the Internet and, therefore, there is no need for museums. Do you agree or disagree with this view?
- Some people believe that women should play an equal role as men in a country’s police force or military force, such as the army, while others think women are not suitable for these kinds of jobs. What is your opinion?