The Department of Biological Sciences graduate program offers programs prompting the levels of Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy. It endeavors to create researchers acquainted with writing in their field, equipped for distinguishing new issues and new bearings of try in their field, and capable with the techniques for information assortment and investigation fundamental to do explore. Understudies will satisfy these targets through a few gatherings: an administered research program, coursework, cooperation in class programs, and safeguarding their thesis.
The Department has research labs and instructional offices for 250–300 alumni understudies. There are offices for computerized picture preparing, electron and confocal microscopy, insightful science, atomic science, aging, biotechnology, DNA combination and sequencing, development of microbial cells and cells of yeasts, plants, creepy crawlies and warm blooded creatures. Offices incorporate enormous holding tanks for oceanic creatures, and controlled climate rooms including a broad nursery complex. Off-grounds offices incorporate the Devonian Botanic Garden and mycology herbarium, a few field stations including the Meanook Biological Research Station and Ellerslie Plant Genetics Station, all close to Edmonton, and the Bamfield Marine Sciences Center on Vancouver Island. Broad reference assortments are accessible for research with microfungi, vascular and cryptogamic plants just as vertebrates and spineless creatures, including significant assortments of fishes, fossil plants and vertebrates, bugs and parasites.
There are six territories of specialization inside the Department: Ecology; Microbiology and Biotechnology; Molecular Biology and Genetics; Plant Biology; Physiology, Development and Cell Biology; and Systematics and Evolution. Understudies either register in one of these regions of specialization for their program or, with consent of the administrator and endorsement of the Associate Chair (Graduate Studies), register towards MSc or PhD in Biological Sciences. Pronounced specialization in one of the six examination interest zones can be shown on an understudy’s proposal cover sheet, degree certificate, and record.
All potential candidates are urged to initially relate with scholastic staff in whose examination labs they should contemplate. Extra data is found at Biological Sciences (see Graduate Studies – For Applicants).
Entrance Requirements for Biological Sciences graduate program
The Department’s base affirmation prerequisites are a 4-year college degree with a confirmation GPA of in any event 3.3 on the 4-point scale from the University of Alberta, or a comparable capability and remaining from a perceived organization. The affirmation GPA will be determined on the last ★60 of evaluated coursework finished, or on what could be compared to the most recent two years of full-time reviewed coursework.
Where material, candidates should give verification of English Language Proficiency (see English Language Requirement). Any of coming up next is satisfactory:
- A base Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of 100 generally with a score of at any rate 22 on every one of the individual ability regions (web based)
- an identical score on an English Language Proficiency test endorsed by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research
Candidates should distinguish a potential chief willing to give management.
Candidates should have the base ensured financing, accomplished through one or a mix of:
- Educating assistantships
- Outer financing
Candidates are likewise needed to present the accompanying:
- A total Departmental Package (Curriculum Vitae, Financial Support Information, and Research Interest Form). See the Department site for structure and configuration subtleties.
- Three letters of reference. Scholarly letters of reference are liked.
All understudies entering the alumni program get monetary help for at any rate the initial two years and four months of a full-time MSc program, and the initial five years of a full-time PhD program, at any rate ensured rate. Contact the Department for the current least.
Biological Sciences graduate program Requirements
- MSc degree (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- MSc degree with Specialization in Ecology (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- MSc degree in Microbiology and Biotechnology specialization (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- MSc degree with Specialization in Molecular Biology and Genetics (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- MSc degree with Specialization in Physiology, Cell, and Developmental Biology (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- MSc degree with Specialization in Plant Biology (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- MSc degree with Specialization in Systematics and Evolution (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- PhD degree (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- PhD degree with Specialization in Ecology (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- PhD degree with Microbiology and Biotechnology specialization (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- PhD degree with Specialization in Molecular Biology and Genetics (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- PhD degree in Physiology, Cell, and Developmental Biology specialization (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- PhD degree with Specialization in Plant Biology (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
- PhD degree in Systematics and Evolution specialization (Biological Sciences) [Graduate]
Course Listings containing graduate courses under the subject heading Bioinformatics (BIOIN), Biology (BIOL), Botany (BOT), Entomology (ENT), Genetics (GENET), Immunology and Infection (IMIN), Marine Science (MA SC), Microbiology (MICRB), Paleontology (PALEO), and Zoology (ZOOL).